Friday, May 1, 2009

Derby Festivities

Hello... I haven't been here in a couple of days because we have been busy enjoying all the Derby week festivities! The kids have had so much fun enjoying all my childhood traditions of going to the Boat Race and the Pegasus Parade.


Wednesday we went to the Boat Race. Super fun, but the best part was these pictures I got of the kids in their matching boat race outfits! They had a blast down by the river watching the boats pass by.

Yesterday, we went to the Parade (Nate, Lara and their kids joined us) and we had a ball. It brought back so many memories of going as a kid with my mom, brothers, cousins, aunt and grandmother. I remember walking (for what seemed like miles) through downtown to get to our "perfect" viewing spot. Once we were there, Grandmommy would open her crochet purse (which was about the size of a 4x6 photo) and start handing out stale treats to everyone. Mom would bring snacks and we would cheer and wave to every float that passed by. We loved it! Then, we would go have dinner at White Castle afterwards. We were hot, dirty and tired and enjoyed every second of it! My kids first trip to the Parade was just as exciting. They adored every moment.
On the curb watching together... I loved these balloons! It's Super Grover! It was really windy, so they had a hard time getting them up and steady.

The UL marching band in the background- the kids danced when they played. Elan (and Uncle Nate) got a sugar rush from the brownies I brought.The girls were excited to see the Derby Princesses. This was their float with the Pegasus in front, it really was pretty!

Now, I'm off to get ready for the track! It's Oaks Day and Stephen and I are ready for a long, full, fun day together! I'll post more pics tomorrow, so stay tuned! Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are great. You are creating memories for your kids. Hate missing the parade with you all!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of SPAM, I have had to turn on Word Verification.
Sorry for the trouble, but I do love your comments and feedback!
Thanks for taking the time to leave one!